Make the Most of Your Money
Bank On Bluegrass is a community initiative designed to help individuals open a bank account who may have experienced difficulties getting an account or keeping an account open in the past.
- More than 50,000 households in Central Kentucky are unbanked or underbanked.
- The FDIC says that and unbanked person is an adult who has no checking or savings account.
- An underbanked person is an adult who has an account, but continues to rely on alternative financial services, like check cashing service, payday loans, rent-to-own agreements, or pawn shops.
- Many of these alternative financial services are often predatory and cause more harm to the individual over time.
- Families without a bank account also run the risk of losing their money or having it stolen.
- Families who depend on alternative financial services pay more to access their money in the long run.
Why Open an Account?
Statistics show that if you do not have a bank account, you could pay up to $40,000 in fees over a lifetime. When you have a bank account you can build positive credit history, pay your bills online or with a check, and eliminate the risk of theft or loss.Pay less, risk less, save more! When you have a bank account, you can build a positive credit history, pay your bills online, or with a check for free, and eliminate the risk of theft or loss.
Open Your Low Cost, Low Risk Account Today
Local banks are committed to providing low-cost, lost-risk bank accounts. Local community organizations are committed to providing training and support to individuals read to set goals and start on the path to financial independence.
Bank On Bluegrass is an initiative of United Way of the Bluegrass.
1. Call 2-1-1 or text your 5-digit zip code to 898211 to learn more.
2. Learn about banking basics online, through our financial education partners, or personal bankers at a participating bank.
3. Open your bank account! Bring a state-issued ID. Most financial partners will also request a second form of ID.
4. CLICK HERE to see a list of questions you may consider asking your new bank.
Gain Control of Your Finances
Use this free and easy online tool that can help everyone regardless of income level or circumstance, gain control of household finances. No matter your goals, everyone can benefit from information to make better decisions about your money. Click HERE to visit My Smart Money.