For Immediate Release:
Lexington, KY – November 16,2017
This holiday season, United Way of the Bluegrass is leading a pajama and book drive – the Sweet Dreams Project, to support elementary students across the Central Kentucky region. This is the second year for the project which was established through United Way's work with local schools and Family Resource Centers which revealed that many children do not have any pajamas or books at home, and may head into the holiday break worrying about food insecurity and other things that a child should never have to worry about. Sweet Dreams is a project meant to fill the needs of students that are not already met through other services during the season.
United Way is asking for support from the public as they aim to bring Sweet Dreams to over 1,000 local children. Students from 22 elementary schools located in Lexington and across the Bluegrass region will benefit from the project. The program was expanded this year thanks to a special sponsorship from BC Wood Properties. This year, an additional 7 schools and 300 students will be served through the project.
Students will head home for the holiday break with a Sweet Dreams package including: a new pair of pajamas, a new book to read and other items to enjoy during the break such as snacks, a toothbrush and other hygiene products. Students from Anderson, Bourbon, Clark, Fayette, Jessamine, Madison, Montgomery, Scott and Woodford counties will receive packages.
How Can You Help?
- Make a Gift to Support Sweet Dreams: Every $15 raised will sponsor one child. Financial contributions to United Way in support of the Sweet Dreams Project are tax-deductible and are requested by December 5. To give, visit uwbg.org/SweetDreams OR text UWGB to 41444 to give from your mobile device.
- Donate Items for Local Children: If you would like to contribute items, simply drop them off at any participating Sweet Dreams collection site through December 1. Requested donations include:
- Packaged, non-perishable snack foods
- New books for grade levels K-4
- New pajamas – youth sizes S – XL for boys and girls
Donated items may be dropped off at United Way of the Bluegrass or any Sweet Dreams collection site through December 1. To view a full list of drop-off sites and addresses, visit uwbg.org/SweetDreams.
The 2017 Sweet Dreams Project is made possible through these generous partners and sponsors:
- BC Wood Properties
- CMWA, Inc.
- Impressions Marketing and Events
- Georgetown Community Hospital
- Delta Dental
- Bluegrass Central Labor Council
- United Way Women United Council and Boards of Trustees
To learn more about how you can help, visit uwbg.org/SweetDreams or dial 2-1-1.
About United Way of the Bluegrass:
United Way of the Bluegrass fights for the education, basic needs and financial stability of every person in Central Kentucky. Our Big Bold Goal is that together, we will help 20,000 families become more self-sufficient by 2020. United Way has committed to four key drivers of success for community and economic success: basic needs, school readiness, student success and financial stability. Systems have been developed to evaluate the quality and success of programs supported by UWBG, so investors can be assured that dollars will have maximum impact on the community. For more information, visit www.uwbg.org or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UnitedWayOfTheBluegrass.
Vice President, Marketing / United Way of the Bluegrass
859.351.8567 / Katie.Williams@uwbg.org